The old farmhouse is getting fixed up! The project is about 2/3rd done. Take a look at the progress!
The featured image above shows the new polycarbonate on the porch and roof on the house.
The inside is still quite under construction, but still exciting to see all the new light coming in bigger windows, new skylights, and french doors!
And we can now see the trees through the carport roof!
Out at Blossomwood Farmstead we are having a big renovation project done. First step — goodbye to the cedar shake roof. We would have been happy to keep it… but check out the photos of its condition. It was practically a living roof, and not the intentional kind!
Another issue with the house was how dark the front porch and carport were. Shade is lovely in the summer for the rare days when it is really hot, but near the coast over 90% of the time sunlight is much more welcome. In addition, our inspection report had mentioned that the roof on the carport should be replaced because the angle was too shallow for cedar shake. We will have it replaced with polycarbonate. Here’s the before.
These support beams under the porch roof (painted white here) were originally forest green, so it was even darker than the photo below shows.
Here’s the progress… roof removed and tar paper up in preparation for a new metal roof. I can’t even tell you how lovely it is to have so much light on the porch!
And here is the car port with most of the roof removed. So nice to see the trees from under there!
Keep an eye out for more updates as the project progresses! Next phases: polycarbonate, skylights, new windows, and metal roof!
There’s an old 1916 farm house on Blossomwood Farmstead. When we purchased it there was unfortunate 70’s wood click-together flooring upstairs in two rooms. There was also, a plywood platform for a king bed in a room that was much too small for it. The third room had grey painted fir sub-floor. (There are additional issues to address — the walls need paint, lack of light/view, no egress windows, etc… but this post is just about the floors.)
We started the project by pulling up the 70’s squares and plywood platform… we were not positive what we would find below, but we hoped it would all be fir sub-floor like the third room.
Looking good! So we decided to carry on and remove all the wood tiles, then refinish the floor.
There was a layer of paper, which was nice, because look at all that dirt it had collected. What would be under the paper?
Painted wood floor. And… sadly, plywood filler. Here’s the whole floor once we had everything up.
We realized that we would have to find some old fir flooring to match. We sourced it at Aurora Mills, which is a great architectural salvage operation. Here are the boards we picked out.
Back at the farm our caretaker went to work sanding the floor. She also tore out the plywood and replaced it with the fir we got her. Cedar (my partner) helped too. What a job! Check out the difference between the sanded portion and the dark old floor.
We did some research and decided to go with OSMO to finish it. AND… drum roll please … the finished floors? Gorgeous!
Before/after of the same room. (Different times of day, but you get the idea!)
It’s hard to believe they are the same floors we started with! There are quite a few more projects to come, but we are really happy to have started from the ground up.
Just the other day on our broker tour, I was talking to other agents from my office about how granite is starting to look dated. Once the ubiquitous choice for upscale kitchens, it now seems to define a particular era.
Funny, then, to see this article on Reviewed.com. And this one from Fine Home Building.
Please keep in mind that the greenest solution is whatever you already have. However, if a remodel is necessary or if you are building new, then I applaud the move away from granite in favor of more sustainable options.
Entryway remodel: from ick yellow to a gorgeous blue grey on the walls, aluminum leaf entry way ceiling to bring it up, and white stair spindles go back to wood.
After (but please note, this was taken on a darker day…)
I would still like to change that light fixture! So many things!
Check out more photos of the ceiling. One in process, each 4 inches is pressed up separately to get the effect.
And details of after…